Main | Registration | LoginFriday, 2024-04-19, 10:30 AM
OpenArena
Clan-League 2010 website
the anti-camp system - Page 2 - ForumWelcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Archive - read only
Forum » Informations Section » Rules Complains » the anti-camp system (is highly annoying)
the anti-camp system
supergrismDate: Friday, 2010-08-13, 2:26 PM | Message # 16
Administrator
Group: Administrators
Quote (Darkal)
then it removes the other's fun and this is the important point.

And spectators fun too.

RMFDate: Monday, 2010-08-16, 1:48 PM | Message # 17
General Moderator
Group: Moderators
I would agree if it prevented you to defend. Here it's not : when you stay 10 seconds on the same spot, no matter what you were planning : it's an obvious case of camping.
Now you're talking about staying on the same spot, which is something completely different than staying in the same area. And that last is what the system checks for...

I had most problems with campers who stayed on the same spot, when spot is defined as a range of about 250 units (not even walking one second, so area is imo a wrong term to use). This is when you for example camp behind the stairs at ps37ctf, stand in the corner of your base on ps37, or just camp in some other corner standing still on the same place all the time. Other camping is mostly strategy, though there are ofcourse exceptions. Imo it can not be decided by a computer when it is an exception or not, as the computer doesn't know or recognise any strats.
For example: on the bridge on ps37 you're a simple target from a large part of the map. Standing there to defend the passage from enemies to your base is not 'stupid camping' as you have to not get shot from any of the dozens of places, and frag a lot. So I mean frag a lot to prevent passage, to assist your team members to get the enemy flag, and assist in getting your own flag back.
From the other side when camping in the corner of your base (ps37 again), you are just waiting for any random enemy to pass which you can then easily shoot. As you are in a corner, you can see every enemy who can see you. This differs ofcourse when you have the enemy flag in your base, and the enemy has yours too, and are (ofcourse) desperate to stay alive.
Another thing is for example on oasago2, when you were in front of the bases platform and you see someone coming via the bridge, it is quite logic to stay just behind the slope to the base. Or go stand around the corner. This might be annoying, but you weren't waiting for any random player to pass (which imo changes things).

supergrismDate: Tuesday, 2010-08-17, 1:24 PM | Message # 18
Administrator
No matter if you are aiming at random ennemies or chosen one, camping is camping, whether it is strategic or due to a lack of experience. And your line about being "desperate to stay alive" with the flag is obviously a case of flagcamping.

I agree that a computer cannot decide each case of camping, but it can for sure decide about excessive cases of camping. Here we don't remove the possibility to "camp a little" for defending or strategic purpose, but just not too much

A spot of 1 pixel would be useless as moving just one step would avoid the anti-camp : that's useless. You have to define an area, as you understood, and we can tweak it. I just need more informations and more testing, not just theories.

Please provide demos showing several players so we can further investigate this issue.

RMFDate: Wednesday, 2010-08-25, 5:12 PM | Message # 19
General Moderator
hm it seems we just disagree on what the word camping exactly means, so as I can't force you to think about it my way (wouldn't be good if i could actually) I think more discussion or testing isn't of any use.

Though I do have another question about this from another topic http://oa-cl.ucoz.org/forum/75-503-1 (better to keep that generally about the servers, rather than some detailed question already having a topic).

Note : anti-camp system is activated for the 3 CTF gametypes, but is disabled for Elimination.
Are we allowed to camp there? Yay! Ups, I mean, Why? [/joke] No seriously why would anticamp apply to ctf but not to elim?

DarkalDate: Monday, 2010-08-30, 3:56 PM | Message # 20
Administrator
Quote (RMF)
Are we allowed to camp there? Yay! Ups, I mean, Why? [/joke] No seriously why would anticamp apply to ctf but not to elim?

Because :
1- Maps are smaller in general
2- You have 200 armor and health, you have a lot of chance to make weapon duels who can take more than 15 sec. So there is no sence to keep anti-camp system there smile

RMFDate: Thursday, 2010-09-02, 1:46 AM | Message # 21
General Moderator
You could set the radius smaller. Also not every CTF map is the same size. But ok, the second reason explains enough happy

GerbilDate: Saturday, 2010-09-04, 8:34 PM | Message # 22
Nightmare!
Group: Official Referees
often, especially for defense, getting stacked 200 200 is very important, and often you will have to fight off several attackers. The fact of the matter is, in ctf defense has to stay by the base, to protect the flag. if people are having difficulties with that then they should play defrag fast caps instead.

it hurts attackers too, sometimes it is important to be sneaky or tricky by hiding in the back of the base for a small period of time.

The system makes games unplayable and not fun in the least. It turns a ctf game into a game with all the players running haphazardly around desperately trying not to get killed by the anticamp system. whatever way you look at it, the anticamp system seriously hurts everyone, not just campers.

RMFDate: Saturday, 2010-09-04, 11:45 PM | Message # 23
General Moderator
hmm actually I have to get back on what I said about 'it is allowed to camp on elim', it isn't a joke anymore. There has been camping on our oa-cl match vs Evil. I don't want to replay the match, and neither do I want some admin to warn Evil for this, it seemed like a natural strategy to use (yeah I didn't think of that earlier, I never really play CA - or rather 'really never'). Also when we saw this, in response we obviously started camping a bit too so in the end it equaled up pretty much (and for CA it's highly effective, you should try it :D).

IMO the anticamp system should get removed Or the radius should be set Very small but the timelimit a bit lower. Before the match started we were playing around a bit (mode was CTF, didn't change to CA yet), and sometimes when you circle a bit around the opponent you also stay just inside the camp-region getting hurt. The opponent too, and it also caused him getting killed due the anticamp while he wasn't really camping. This is one of the things which happen when you let a computer decide if what you are doing is camping...
Also I don't care how you manage to, but the killing when chatting should really stop or at least be triple as slow. It has been explained it's not really possible that easy, but you want the system to be there so make it function properly.

TinyDate: Sunday, 2010-09-05, 10:56 AM | Message # 24
Administrator
And just one point about the anti-camp ( nothing to do with all what said ).
Yesterday, i noticed something not really nice, but idk if we can solve that problem except by removing anti-camp system.
I explain, we were in ctf, and i had lags, but the kind of big lag, where you can't move! And so, i've been killed by the anti-camp system whereas i was just unable to move ( not that i wanted to camp ). sad

I know we can't create something with the anti-camp system that detects the lag ( or maybe yes idk ), but that's onr of the problem you can have sad ( though you don't usually have to lag during a match biggrin , so that's not such a huge problem tongue )

DarkalDate: Sunday, 2010-09-05, 3:47 PM | Message # 25
Administrator
I noticed too, the delay is too small, but I don't know how to change this, I have to meet heap in MSN, I'll try to change this for playoff matches smile

Forum » Informations Section » Rules Complains » the anti-camp system (is highly annoying)
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024